- Last Updated on Wednesday, 28 January 2015 15:14
- Published on Wednesday, 28 January 2015 15:14
- Hits: 587
The Colonial Beach Police Department is investigating the shooting death of a Colonial Beach woman.
Responding to a 911 call early Tuesday morning, officers discovered the body of Sharon Dickerson Smith. Police said Smith was shot to death in her home at 105 Hamilton St. After a preliminary investigation, officers arrested Sierra Seantaine Dillon and charged her with involuntary manslaughter and reckless handling of a firearm.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 27 January 2015 09:46
- Published on Tuesday, 27 January 2015 09:46
- Hits: 294
Last year’s council decision to cut money for fireworks for both the 4th of July and the Potomac River Festival weekend ignited a few sparks with the 2015 council during its recent work session.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 20 January 2015 10:30
- Published on Tuesday, 20 January 2015 10:30
- Hits: 732
The town of Colonial Beach is on the way to revitalizing the downtown area.
A once bustling resort town in the late 1800s and early 1900s known as the “Playground on the Potomac,” Colonial Beach’s economy fell prey to the the improvements of land transportation, dwindling aquatic resources and the end of legalized gambling.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 13 January 2015 09:12
- Published on Tuesday, 13 January 2015 09:12
- Hits: 720
Ordinance paves way for residents to buy insurance
Colonial Beach has adopted a new flood plain ordinance in order to allow residents to continue to purchase flood insurance.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 13 January 2015 09:10
- Published on Tuesday, 13 January 2015 09:10
- Hits: 735
The opening of the Colonial Beach Care Clinic has been delayed until Feb. 2.
The clinic, at 700 McKinney Blvd., was set to re-open Jan 19, however due to unforeseen delays that date was pushed back two weeks, said its new owners.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 06 January 2015 11:11
- Published on Tuesday, 06 January 2015 11:11
- Hits: 772
The Colonial Beach Town Council has named Capt. Bruce Hough as the acting chief of police for a maximum of 90 days.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 30 December 2014 14:33
- Published on Tuesday, 30 December 2014 14:33
- Hits: 3168
Problem still not resolved almost two months later. The Colonial Beach School Board’s staff has been displaced since Nov. 3 after the office’s Internet connection was cut by contractors working on the Potomac Renaissance Condos on Taylor Street, according to school officials.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 30 December 2014 14:31
- Published on Tuesday, 30 December 2014 14:29
- Hits: 1105
Apparently, you can teach good behavior.
The Colonial Beach Elementary School started a new program seven weeks ago, Drifter Pride, aimed at teaching, encouraging and reinforcing good behavior among its students.