Fri12192014

Last updateWed, 27 Dec 2017 12am

   201412metrocast

Beach officials assess housing needs

Beach officials assess housing needs

Eight residents are counting on the town winning a housing-needs grant to see improved living condit...

beach health center saved, to stay open

beach health center saved, to stay open

King George clinic owners ready to take over facility
Not so fast.
The planned closure of the Colonial...

Rockfish tournament

Rockfish tournament

Annual event takes on special meaning for several special anglers

Scouts collect food for thanksgiving

Scouts collect food for thanksgiving

Month-long drive yields about 2,100 pounds of food to be distributed by CB Baptist Church

Local Sco...

Colonial Beach election results

Edward Blunt, Michael Looney and Burkett Lyburn have won four-year terms to the Colonial Beach Town ...

Geddes: Bike Fest was good for businesses

While the final numbers from the first Colonial Beach Bike Fest won’t be known  until December ...

 

 eyecareofva201403-web

 

Office-for-rent Jrnl Bldg 20130925

CBVFD conducts a controlled burn

On Saturday, May 11, Colonial Beach Volunteer Fire Department (CBVFD) conducted a controlled-burn of a 100-year-old house on Jackson St. This was a training exercise, and had been requested by the current owner, Joyce Gunderson. The old house sparked some controversy after the town asked Gunderson to have it removed because it had been determined by the town to be unrepairable. Gunderson, along with some members of the CB Historical Society, believed that the house was the first African-American home in Colonial Beach. According to Town Manager Val Foulds, no documentation was presented to the town to support that fact. Mitzy Saffos of the CB Historical Society confirmed that contractors (hired by Gunderson) said that the house could not be repaired.

The fire was set early in the morning. The majority of the house burned quickly, wth the back chimney being knocked down by the powerful jets of water from the firemen’s hoses. The front chimney, however, wasn’t going down without a fight. It took almost five minutes of powerful spray to start the two-story brick monument to begin rocking, and finally giving way. The remains of the building continued to smolder throughout the day, in spite of repeated rain showers. Both the CB Police Department and the CBVFD kept checking the structure throughout the day to ensure that it did not reignite.

CBVFD Chief David Robey said that the burning structure could not be utilized for full training since most of the floors, windows and doors had already been removed. The firefighters still got some training in by keeping the flames away from nearby trees. No other structures or trees where damaged during the exercise.

Colonial Beach Volunteer Rescue Squad Medic 1-8 assisted with the training by stationing at the scene.

On Friday, May 10, Colonial Beach Volunteer Fire Department (CBVFD) was dispatched to the 1200 block of Lossing Ave. for a car on fire. Nearby resident and Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Scott Gast and his grandmother Olga Farneth heard a loud explosion while in their back yard. When Gast got to the street, he noticed Danny Clay trying to open the hood of his pickup truck while flames were shooting up from under the hood.

Gast called 911 and warned Clay to get away from the vehicle. When CB Police arrived on the scene (just before CBVFD), Clay was still trying to get his hood open. The CB police officer also warned the man to get away from the burning vehicle. CBVFD arrived a few minutes later, and began to work on the fire. Flames shot up from under the hood, and dark black smoke billowed several hundred feet into the air.

Clay said that he had just recently put in a new clutch, transmission and two new front tires. As he arrived home that morning, he got out of the truck, and was greeted by his dog. Soon after, his girlfriend greeted him and told Clay that his truck was on fire. Clay said that he told her, “No it’s probably just the radiator overheating.” But then she told him that she saw flames. Clay said he thought if he could just get the hood open, he could put the fire out with the garden hose. “But the flames were too hot for me to get my hand on the latch,” Clay admitted.

Because the truck was too old to have full-coverage auto insurance, Clay says that the vehicle is a total loss. Luckily, no one was hurt by the fire.

 

narfe

Contact Lori Deem

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

540-709-7495 • 540-775-2024


 

Quikey

Bulletline


 

Balloon House


 link4

Wedding invitations and other announcements

201410chamber

201410getaway

 

201409pr

Contact Us

The Journal Press, Inc. P. O. Box 409, 10250 Kings Hwy. King George, VA 22485

EDITORIAL
Robert Berczuk
540-775-2024 Main

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

REPORTING
Leonard Banks
540-469-4196

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Phyllis Cook
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Linda Farneth
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Richard Leggitt
540-993-7460
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

PRODUCTION
Drue Murray
540-709-7288
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Leonard Banks
540-469-4196

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

ADVERTISING
Tanya M
540-775-2024 Main
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

ADVERTISING SALES
Charlene Franks
540-709-7075
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Carla Gutridge
540-709-7061
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Dennis Verdak
540-709-7076
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

COMMERCIAL PRINTING & SALES
Lori Deem, Print Shop
540-709-7495
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Tanya M.
540-775-2024 (Main)
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

OFFICE
Jessica Herrink
540-775-2024 (main)

540-469-4031
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Robert Berczuk
540-775-2024
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Drue Murray
540-709-7288
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

SUBSCRIPTIONS
Bonnie Gouvisis

540-775-2024
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

COMMUNITY &
CHURCH DIRECTORY

Lori Deem
540-709-7495
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

PUBLIC NOTICES
& LEGALS

Charle Franks
540-709-7075
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.