- Last Updated on Monday, 16 February 2015 17:24
- Published on Monday, 16 February 2015 15:30
- Hits: 1772
Will request $9.6M to pay for it
The Colonial Beach School Board has begun the process of securing money for a new elementary school.
The passed a resolution at its Feb. 11 meeting to request $9.6 million in the form of a bond from the Town of Colonial Beach.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 16 December 2014 11:43
- Published on Tuesday, 16 December 2014 11:43
- Hits: 1860
Colonial Beach is one of the first school systems to join a petitioning to the state to increasing aid for public education.
The state continues to mandate improvements to school operations but is putting the burden on local taxpayers, according to the petition created by Virginia School Boards Association and the Virginia Association of School Superintendents.
Localities currently pay 56 percent of their school costs. However, the state’s standards of quality said the localities should pay 45 percent.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 15 October 2014 09:52
- Published on Wednesday, 15 October 2014 09:52
- Hits: 1983
The Colonial Beach Town Council put a stop to a demolition notice for the town’s former elementary school.
The order recently was issued by the town’s Building and Zoning Office since the building, destroyed on Jan. 5 by fire, has been sitting in the same condition since then. School officials did surround the building with fencing to keep people from entering the area.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 07 October 2014 12:09
- Published on Tuesday, 07 October 2014 12:09
- Hits: 1329
A town official has ordered the former Colonial Beach Elementary School to be demolished in about two weeks, but that is unlikely to happen, the mayor said.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 10 September 2014 07:46
- Published on Wednesday, 10 September 2014 07:46
- Hits: 1232
The Colonial Beach School Board has voted to accept an insurance settlement offer of $1.8 million to cover fire damage to the two-story building on the former elementary school campus.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 06 August 2014 11:15
- Published on Wednesday, 06 August 2014 11:15
- Hits: 1779
After months of negotiation, the Colonial Beach Town Council and School Board have finally reached an agreement in the form of a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to protect both parties’ interests. Town staff can now proceed with securing a bond for at least $1,263,565.00.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 04 June 2014 09:17
- Published on Wednesday, 04 June 2014 09:18
- Hits: 1797
After the dust has settled from Colonial Beach’s public hearing to raise taxes and fees, the CB Town Council will now meet on June 9, at 10 a.m. to discuss and vote on the town’s 2014-15 fiscal year budget. Although the public hearings are over, it seems school supporters are not going to give up without a fight. An electronic petition is being circulated around town by Facebook users.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 09 April 2014 12:33
- Published on Friday, 04 April 2014 11:38
- Hits: 2869
Conflicting resolutions, long discussions and short memories seem to be at the heart of the Town of Colonial Beach’s inability to support the School, rather than the lack of funding. Council members seemed to have different opinions on what they approved and promised to the school system. The elementary school relocation and high school maintenance funding continues to dominate council meetings with the same result; members asking for another meeting with the school to hash out details, and no action toward seeking and providing funding is taken.