- Last Updated on Monday, 16 February 2015 17:24
- Published on Monday, 16 February 2015 15:30
- Hits: 1141
Will request $9.6M to pay for it
The Colonial Beach School Board has begun the process of securing money for a new elementary school.
The passed a resolution at its Feb. 11 meeting to request $9.6 million in the form of a bond from the Town of Colonial Beach.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 16 December 2014 11:43
- Published on Tuesday, 16 December 2014 11:43
- Hits: 1288
Colonial Beach is one of the first school systems to join a petitioning to the state to increasing aid for public education.
The state continues to mandate improvements to school operations but is putting the burden on local taxpayers, according to the petition created by Virginia School Boards Association and the Virginia Association of School Superintendents.
Localities currently pay 56 percent of their school costs. However, the state’s standards of quality said the localities should pay 45 percent.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 15 October 2014 09:52
- Published on Wednesday, 15 October 2014 09:52
- Hits: 1703
The Colonial Beach Town Council put a stop to a demolition notice for the town’s former elementary school.
The order recently was issued by the town’s Building and Zoning Office since the building, destroyed on Jan. 5 by fire, has been sitting in the same condition since then. School officials did surround the building with fencing to keep people from entering the area.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 07 October 2014 12:09
- Published on Tuesday, 07 October 2014 12:09
- Hits: 1090
A town official has ordered the former Colonial Beach Elementary School to be demolished in about two weeks, but that is unlikely to happen, the mayor said.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 10 September 2014 07:46
- Published on Wednesday, 10 September 2014 07:46
- Hits: 1022
The Colonial Beach School Board has voted to accept an insurance settlement offer of $1.8 million to cover fire damage to the two-story building on the former elementary school campus.