- Last Updated on Tuesday, 30 July 2013 16:48
- Published on Wednesday, 31 July 2013 00:47
- Hits: 1735
The Colonial Beach Police Department (CBPD) is requesting additional funding for its accreditation specialist, Monroe Bryant.
Bryant, formerly an accreditation specialist for Alexandria, came out of retirement four years ago to help CBPD achieve accreditation.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 24 July 2013 10:53
- Published on Wednesday, 24 July 2013 10:53
- Hits: 2529
When Westmoreland Shores businessman Bud Tressler opened Fat Freda’s sandwich shop in 2006 at the corner of Hawthorne and Washington streets in Colonial Beach he had a dream of turning it into one of the town’s most popular restaurants.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 24 July 2013 10:47
- Published on Wednesday, 24 July 2013 00:44
- Hits: 1904
Schools across the state are showing declined pass rates, according to a press release form the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE).
Superintendent of Public Instruction Patricia Wright predicts that pass rates will improve as teachers and students become better acquainted with the new standards and assessments.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 17 July 2013 11:14
- Published on Wednesday, 17 July 2013 11:14
- Hits: 2365
The Colonial Beach Artists’ Guild hosts over 100 members. Artists and art lovers flock to the town each month to enjoy the Second Friday Art Walk.
The Art Walk features artists’ works at a number of shops and galleries in the downtown area along Washington Ave, along Hawthorne and Taylor Streets. Locations include the Potomac River Fisheries
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 17 July 2013 11:11
- Published on Wednesday, 17 July 2013 11:11
- Hits: 2336
Due to the recent rise in town residents’ median income, reported by the U.S. Census Bureau, Colonial Beach cannot qualify for grant funding for water and sewer projects.
In May, the town applied for funding through the Drinking Water State Revolving Fund offered by the Department of Health. Since the application was submitted, new census data confirmed the median income
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 24 July 2013 13:22
- Published on Thursday, 11 July 2013 14:42
- Hits: 2910
Michael R. Bradshaw Jr. has three new charges to added to his list.
Bradshaw has been incarcerated at Northern Neck Regional Jail since March 26 when he was arrested in connection with break-ins in Montross and Oldhams. Bradshaw was also suspected of other crimes throughout the Northern Neck.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 10 July 2013 09:59
- Published on Wednesday, 10 July 2013 05:04
- Hits: 2585
Colonial Beach officials feel that the Fourth of July holiday and weekend was a big success. Except for some complaints by motorists coming from the southern-most part of town (the Point), there were no other known complaints as of Monday, July 8.
Motorists coming from the Point in Colonial Beach reported wait times of up-to-two hours, where traffic was
- Last Updated on Friday, 05 July 2013 11:35
- Published on Friday, 05 July 2013 11:35
- Hits: 2867
Colonial Beach Schools’ budget has taken two hard hits over the last few years. The first was due to the continually deteriorating conditions at the elementary school campus, and the second came when government funding was reduced by roughly $800,000.
In 2011, the Colonial Beach area suffered damage from an earthquake and two named-storms, one of which dumped 21 inches of rain on the town in one day. After these storms left water damage in the bathrooms of the oldest and largest