- Last Updated on Wednesday, 24 April 2013 11:44
- Published on Wednesday, 24 April 2013 11:44
- Hits: 2888
James Santos lived in Florida for 41 years. He had heart surgery in 2009, and lost his job because he couldn’t work. Then he lost his home to foreclosure and had to sell his car to pay bills. And, then his favorite dog died. “We’ve been struggling,” he said.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 17 April 2013 12:12
- Published on Wednesday, 17 April 2013 12:12
- Hits: 1883
Colonial Beach Building and Zoning Director Gary Mitchell is optimistically preparing for the Town of Colonial Beach to be awarded a $750,000 Community Development Block Grant (CDBG), by creating a facade improvement program.
The Town of Colonial Beach has resubmitted its application for a CDBG from the Virginia Department of
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 17 April 2013 15:55
- Published on Wednesday, 17 April 2013 12:07
- Hits: 1728
Colonial Beach Town Council deliberated for almost an hour to decide to whom to award the lease agreement for the building on the Boardwalk located at 108 Taylor St.
In the past, competition between the leasers of this location and nearby vendors had turned into a media circus and been nicknamed “The Hot Dog War”.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 09 April 2013 18:18
- Published on Wednesday, 10 April 2013 18:17
- Hits: 1975
Vice Chair Desiree P. Urquhart reluctantly resigned her position with the Colonial Beach Planning Commission after the March meeting. She has been called away to the family homestead in Zuni, VA, to care for her elderly mother on a full-time basis.
Urquhart moved to Colonial Beach six years ago, and became a member of the Planning Commission two years later. Her contributions to the Town will be felt for years to come.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 09 April 2013 18:26
- Published on Wednesday, 10 April 2013 00:06
- Hits: 1877
At the continued April work session, Colonial Beach Town Council decided to advertise for bids for the lease of 108 Taylor St., due to be in by noon on Thursday, April 11. Town Manager Val Foulds also assured Council that the vendor program had been revised to keep “like” businesses from being placed in close proximity of each other. Councilman Gary Seeber asked to insert a clause saying that Council would not have to
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 03 April 2013 10:53
- Published on Wednesday, 03 April 2013 10:53
- Hits: 1723
The annual Easter Egg Hunt for the children was held Saturday, with approximately sixty children in attendance as the truck from the Colonial Beach Volunteer Fire Department brought the Easter bunny to Town Hill. Joan Edwards, the Easter bunny, gave each child that sat on her lap an Easter egg from the White House Easter egg roll with Barack and
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 03 April 2013 10:32
- Published on Wednesday, 03 April 2013 10:32
- Hits: 1798
About once every two years council members bring up the subject of school consolidation. Former Mayor Fred Rummage was often accused of trying to consolidate the town’s school system with Westmoreland County, which he denied in a school board meeting saying “I have never in my entire adult life not supported public education! I have not in my entire
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 03 April 2013 10:21
- Published on Wednesday, 03 April 2013 10:14
- Hits: 2586
Notice to builders no April fools joke
Anyone wishing to seek a building permit in Colonial Beach will have to wait. Due to the council’s indecision, the Town of Colonial Beach is no longer in compliance with regulations that would allow them to issue building permits, according to R. V’lent Lassiter, Principal Environmental Planner of the Virginia Department of Conservation & Recreation.