- Last Updated on Wednesday, 21 November 2012 12:08
- Published on Wednesday, 21 November 2012 12:08
- Hits: 2399
An immediate financial impact of the Tides Mill Bridge closing has been felt by the two businesses on either side of the bridge.
Shady Lane Seafood and Wilkersons Restaurant have seen a huge decline in business since the closing.
When asked if the bridge closing has had an influence on sales, an employee of Wilkersons who wished to remain anonymous pointed to the one table with four patrons on Saturday afternoon and said, “Oh Ya, it’s made a difference.”
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 21 November 2012 12:04
- Published on Wednesday, 21 November 2012 12:04
- Hits: 3322
Mayor Frederick C. Rummage won his seat as mayor in 2008 beating three current council members Gary Seeber, Stephen Kennedy and Linda Crandell. Rummage replaced G.W. “Pete” Bone who served as mayor for 12 years and decided not to run again.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 14 November 2012 13:25
- Published on Wednesday, 14 November 2012 13:03
- Hits: 2108
Colonial Beach Town Hall was the only government building to report any damage from Super Storm Sandy.
The building has had problems for years but the recent winds took their toll on the old building. The front
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 14 November 2012 13:58
- Published on Wednesday, 14 November 2012 12:52
- Hits: 1826
Despite massive preparations, Colonial Beach Emergency Response Team feels they are not prepared for a direct hit from a storm like Sandy.
The boardwalk was cleared of benches and trash cans, buildings boarded up and sand bags dispersed. Town officials kept residents notified through instant alert of the impending storm, school closings and shelter openings. The town even identified streets prone to flooding. Public Works readied generators to run the water pumps, and police, fire, rescue, public works and town officials all stayed in contact, with the police station as their central command center. Town Manager Val Foulds stayed in town overnight throughout the storm.
- Last Updated on Saturday, 10 November 2012 11:47
- Published on Friday, 09 November 2012 15:20
- Hits: 1921
This October ended with a lot of excitement and scary events, we all hope everyone made it through without mishap.
In the spirit of the upcoming holidays, our artists have been busy preparing for the season. This month JarrettThor Fine Arts Gallery is sponsoring an alumni event featuring some of the artists who have attended the various workshops over the past year.
- Last Updated on Thursday, 08 November 2012 12:41
- Published on Thursday, 08 November 2012 12:41
- Hits: 1592
With all the past problems and discussions, Building and Zoning Director Gary Mitchell did not anticipate the approval by the commission so no committee paper was prepared.
- Last Updated on Thursday, 08 November 2012 12:30
- Published on Thursday, 08 November 2012 12:30
- Hits: 1531
Write-in mayoral candidate Stephen Kennedy used his three minutes of closing statements during the Colonial Beach Mayor’s Forum to blast Mike Ham for allowing alleged misuse of police vehicles while Ham was chair of the budget and finance committee.