- Last Updated on Wednesday, 04 December 2013 00:55
- Published on Wednesday, 04 December 2013 00:55
- Hits: 2026
Single-family dwelling restrictions challenged separately by council and property owner bear a striking resemblance
On Nov. 19, Colonial Beach property owner Sharron Fortier appealed the decision of Colonial Beach Building and Zoning Director Gary Mitchell, who had determined that, according to Article 7 of the zoning ordinance, her property, located in the town’s resort commercial district, could not be used as a single-family dwelling. Coincidentally, in September of this year, amendments to Article 7 were put on hold at the town’s council level by now-former council member Tim Curtin, and three other council members. The changes proposed to Article 7 did not affect the section of the ordinance that covers the disallowance of single-family dwellings within the Commercial Resort District.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 27 November 2013 09:43
- Published on Wednesday, 27 November 2013 09:43
- Hits: 2193
Coldwell Banker Elite, one of the nation’s most successful real estate franchises, has opened an office in Colonial Beach. The well-known firm announced this week that Coldwell Banker Elite has acquired Team 4U Real Estate in Colonial Beach.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 27 November 2013 09:39
- Published on Wednesday, 27 November 2013 09:39
- Hits: 1772
Auditor Billy Robinson, of Brown Edwards & Company, LLP, issued the Town of Colonial Beach a clean opinion for fiscal year 2013, at the Nov. 21 town council work session. Mayor Mike Ham congratulated both the town and school board’s financial employees for their work. “This is the third year we have had a clean opinion, and it seems to be getting better every year.”
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 13 November 2013 11:25
- Published on Wednesday, 13 November 2013 11:24
- Hits: 2309
Colonial Beach Volunteer Rescue Squad claimed the highest number of awards at the 79th Virginia Association of Volunteer Rescue Squad (VAVRS) Conference, held recently in Virginia Beach, Va.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 13 November 2013 11:21
- Published on Wednesday, 13 November 2013 11:19
- Hits: 1983
A little something special was added to this year’s Annual Colonial Beach Rockfish Tournament, sponsored by the Colonial Beach Chamber of Commerce and the Colonial Beach Volunteer Fire Department, and hosted by Dockside Restaurant and Blue Heron Pub.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 13 November 2013 11:09
- Published on Wednesday, 13 November 2013 11:09
- Hits: 1723
VFW Post 10574 of Colonial Beach hosted the Veterans Day program paying tribute to all veterans of the United States.
Mayor Mike Ham welcomed guests and thanked veterans for their service.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 13 November 2013 11:02
- Published on Wednesday, 13 November 2013 11:02
- Hits: 1656
Charges had cost him his job
A former Colonial Beach police officer, who lost his job last year after being charged with malicious wounding and strangulation in connection with a dispute in Fredericksburg, has been found not guilty by a jury.
Kevin Murrell, 32, currently a resident of Stafford County, was found “not guilty” by a jury on Friday, after a two-day trial in Fredericksburg Circuit Court.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 06 November 2013 13:31
- Published on Wednesday, 06 November 2013 13:30
- Hits: 1617
Forecasters are predicting a cold, wet winter season, and Colonial Beach resident Sherry Lee is helping residents get ready by providing free coats, gloves and scarves for those in need.