- Last Updated on Sunday, 05 January 2014 13:29
- Published on Sunday, 05 January 2014 13:29
- Hits: 4150
Sunday Jan. 5, 2014
“A piece of Colonial Beach History gone; such a sad day” - Just two of the comments on Facebook from residents of Colonial Beach who woke up, Sunday Jan. 5 to news that the landmark 100-year-old brick building known to many long-time residents as the old high school at the elementary school campus had burned beyond repair by roughly 5 a.m.
Chief David Robey of the Colonial Beach Vol. Fire Department said the fire was toned out around 4 a.m. Robey said they could see the flames from the fire house which is located about a block away.
When firefighters arrived on scene the school building was fully engulfed in flames. The State Fire Marshal, investigating the fire stated that the bulk of the fire was on the front side of the building which is located on the river side and burned towards the back of the building which sits roughly 50 yards from Douglas Ave.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 25 December 2013 17:02
- Published on Wednesday, 25 December 2013 17:02
- Hits: 2348
With the help of Jerry Davis, Executive Director of the Northern Neck Planning Commission, the efforts to secure the revitalization grant for Colonial Beach are shaping up. Davis is following in the tried and true footsteps the commission used to help Montross, which has already been successful in securing a half million dollar revitalization grant and has started to implement the plan.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 24 December 2013 17:12
- Published on Tuesday, 24 December 2013 17:12
- Hits: 2594
Bertha Peyton and Amy Molinares didn’t quite know what joy they would receive when they adopted a family for Christmas through Social Services.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 24 December 2013 16:58
- Published on Tuesday, 24 December 2013 16:58
- Hits: 2371
The popular Australian rock band, LONGREEF, is releasing a new single designed to raise awareness about bullying and a video featuring children from Colonial Beach and several members of the Colonial Beach Police Department.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 18 December 2013 09:11
- Published on Wednesday, 18 December 2013 09:11
- Hits: 2157
Santa came to Colonial Beach Dec. 7, and there were hundreds of children waiting for his arrival. “The line to see Santa lasted four hours,” said Colonial Beach Mayor Mike Ham.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 11 December 2013 10:04
- Published on Wednesday, 11 December 2013 10:04
- Hits: 2188
Local Cub Scout Pack #258 recently toured the Colonial Beach Volunteer Rescue Squad station, where they learned life-saving first aid skills and also practiced Hands-Only CPR by squad members. “The scouts had to visit an important local building as part of their badge requirement, and we were very proud that our station house was selected,” said Wesley Melson, CBVRS Rescue Chief.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 11 December 2013 10:03
- Published on Wednesday, 11 December 2013 10:02
- Hits: 1976
Mrs. Mary Virginia Stanford helped Dr. Peter Fahrney present Music Teacher Ashley Gingrich and her band students a check in the amount of $1,000.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 04 December 2013 10:53
- Published on Wednesday, 04 December 2013 10:43
- Hits: 2823
The recently opened indoor Peddler’s Market in Colonial Beach is ready for what it hopes will be a successful holiday shopping season. The Peddler’s Market is located in a newly remodeled 10,000 square foot space where the old Rankin’s Hardware store was located before it moved to the other end of Colonial Plaza.