- Last Updated on Monday, 23 March 2015 15:08
- Published on Monday, 23 March 2015 15:08
- Hits: 87
This Victorian chandelier hangs in the dining room of a prominent Northern Neck home. The present owner’s cousins, now deceased, purchased it many years ago, had it electrified and hung. The owners cannot find any indication of the factory that manufactured it. The condition is excellent, and the shade is hand-painted.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 17 March 2015 10:29
- Published on Tuesday, 17 March 2015 10:29
- Hits: 108
My initial reaction is that with the elaborate French matting and attractive framing, these were a great buy. The engravings themselves have pressed bordering, indicating that they are not pages out of a book. The coloring is excellent, showing no signs of fading.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 10 March 2015 10:29
- Published on Tuesday, 10 March 2015 10:29
- Hits: 151
Continuing last week’s topic of appraising, one of the most important considerations is understanding the components of an item’s value. Every antique has four aspects of value, and once grasped, the worth of the piece is much easier to calculate.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 03 March 2015 10:40
- Published on Tuesday, 03 March 2015 10:40
- Hits: 180
During the 15 years that I have been writing this column the question that readers ask most often is, “How do I go about getting an appraisal?” The second most frequently asked question is, “Do I need an appraisal?” The third is, “How much will it cost?”
- Last Updated on Monday, 16 February 2015 14:02
- Published on Monday, 16 February 2015 14:01
- Hits: 489
Recently a family was cleaning out a storage area on the second floor when one of the boxes they were moving fell down the stairs. It contained several pieces of old costume jewelry, a couple of knobs and seven of these brass pieces. They are inquiring as to what they are, and how they were used. They show no maker’s mark, and are not attracted by magnetism, hence the family is certain they are solid brass, although form the photograph they have a coppery appearance.