- Last Updated on Tuesday, 29 January 2013 17:42
- Published on Tuesday, 29 January 2013 00:14
- Hits: 1741
Last Saturday I participated for the twelfth time in the Saint Clement’s Island Museum’s Appraiser Fair at Colton’s Point, in Saint Mary’s County, Maryland. I was happy to see a good contingent of Northern Neck regulars present as well as to have the opportunity to inspect some great antiques.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 23 January 2013 12:12
- Published on Wednesday, 23 January 2013 12:12
- Hits: 2060
Victorian shadowbox frames remain popular despite the downturn we are experiencing with most Victoriana. This large walnut one comes from a family here in the Northern Neck. It has what the family thinks is the original glass, in part because the silvering has some spots and lines due to age. The family is considering replacing the mirror. The frame is rusticated, and the gilt gesso liner retains its original finish.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 23 January 2013 12:13
- Published on Wednesday, 16 January 2013 00:46
- Hits: 1480
This Victorian walnut marbletop chest belongs to a Northern Neck family with roots in the Midwest. It is in excellent condition, and the family thinks that it is complete, showing no evidence of having had an attached mirror or splashboard. The secondary wood is poplar. The ends are paneled, and the finish is original.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 09 January 2013 13:35
- Published on Wednesday, 09 January 2013 13:35
- Hits: 1410
A lady from the Midwest inherited this secretary bookcase, which has passed through her family for several generations. It is walnut, with poplar secondary wood. The interior is elaborate, with many cubbyholes and small drawers. The family thinks the finish is original, but the somewhere along the road the back has been replaced with plywood.
- Last Updated on Friday, 28 December 2012 12:03
- Published on Tuesday, 01 January 2013 11:59
- Hits: 1505
This Victorian chair is one of a set of five that belonged to a family from the lower Northern Neck. It is walnut, and, along with two others in the set, has a needlepoint seat. The remaining two have fabric seats. All are sturdy and in good condition.