- Last Updated on Wednesday, 21 May 2014 11:45
- Published on Wednesday, 21 May 2014 11:45
- Hits: 408
This American Empire Grecian couch belonged to a gentleman who recently died, and it is now to be disposed of by his estate. The primary wood is mahogany, both solid and veneer, and the secondary wood is pine. Aside from a few veneer nicks, the overall condition is excellent. At present the couch does not have a bolster.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 14 May 2014 11:18
- Published on Wednesday, 14 May 2014 11:18
- Hits: 495
This pair of candelabra was an estate sale purchase many years ago. One of them was broken with the stem having come apart. The owner has had it repaired professionally, and the repair is hardly noticeable. At present he is thinking of having the pair re-plated, and asks if it is correct to re-silver. He has been unable to find any hallmark on either piece.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 07 May 2014 10:37
- Published on Wednesday, 07 May 2014 10:37
- Hits: 376
A lady originally from Fairfax inherited six plates identical to this one from her father’s side of the family. They are in the traditional blue on white motif, and are hallmarked “Villeroy and Boch.” They are eight inches in diameter and in excellent condition with no chips or cracks, but evidence of use over the years.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 30 April 2014 11:38
- Published on Wednesday, 30 April 2014 11:38
- Hits: 458
This Hepplewhite-style corner cabinet belongs to a family originally from Fairfax County. The wood is mahogany with satinwood inlay and pine as secondary wood. The owner’s grandfather had the piece built in Alexandria over 100 years ago. All of the wood is solid, with no modern plywood backing, and the doors have independent panes of glass. The piece shows some wear, but is in excellent condition.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 23 April 2014 09:46
- Published on Wednesday, 23 April 2014 09:46
- Hits: 464
This Chinese ginger jar comes from an old Northern Neck family. The base is in excellent condition, but the lid has been broken and repaired crudely. The owners are thinking of making it into a lamp, and question whether so-doing would lessen the value.