- Last Updated on Tuesday, 11 June 2013 16:29
- Published on Wednesday, 12 June 2013 00:26
- Hits: 1325
The gentleman who had last week’s two stoneware pieces also has these two cookie jars. Other than the expected wear, they are in excellent condition. The yellow one has hand-painted floral decoration, whereas the brown one is unadorned. Both have their
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 05 June 2013 11:16
- Published on Wednesday, 05 June 2013 11:16
- Hits: 1110
These two pieces of stoneware recently came out of a Northern Neck family’s basement. The owners do not know how long they have been there, or where they originated. The crock is unmarked, save for the blue flowers. It has two chips on the rim. The jug bears the inscription, “UNFERMENTED COMMUNION WINE” and below it the
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 28 May 2013 17:30
- Published on Wednesday, 29 May 2013 00:27
- Hits: 1020
Recently a family moved to the Northern Neck where they purchased a house with this chandelier hanging in the dining room. It does not match their décor, and they have asked how to proceed in selling it, as they are anxious to replace it with a modern fixture. They do not know the make, nor whether it is crystal or glass.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 15 May 2013 10:55
- Published on Wednesday, 15 May 2013 10:55
- Hits: 1205
As we are in the middle of spring, we have been getting more inquiries about estate sales, how to arrange them, how to conduct them, what to do with the residue, and whether to hire a professional or to “do-it-yourself?” Periodically, I have treated this subject, and today’s column is an update in the hope that it will answer many of the questions.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 08 May 2013 14:53
- Published on Wednesday, 08 May 2013 14:53
- Hits: 1009
This bentwood cradle belongs to a family from the Shenandoah Valley, now living in the Northern Neck. The wood appears to be oak, and the owners think the handmade mattress is original. The finish is also original.
Cradles are interesting period pieces, and this one is a good example of the style of the late nineteenth