- Last Updated on Wednesday, 23 July 2014 12:50
- Published on Wednesday, 23 July 2014 12:49
- Hits: 207
A lady in the Northern Neck inherited this Victorian sofa from her brother, who was a prominent decorator and antiques dealer. It was in what possibly was the original horsehair upholstery, and she has had it recovered in the present floral pattern, fortunately retaining the original tufting pattern in the back. The upholsterer referred to the sofa as being English Victorian.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 16 July 2014 13:06
- Published on Wednesday, 16 July 2014 13:06
- Hits: 213
This French armchair belongs to a lady whose father used it as his desk chair. She thinks it is 200 years old, and she has owned it for over 50 years. She has had the seat re-rushed by Amish craftsmen in Southern Maryland, who also strengthened the structure without obviously altering it. She also thinks the wood is oak.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 09 July 2014 10:47
- Published on Wednesday, 09 July 2014 10:47
- Hits: 231
This mahogany two-drawer cabinet belongs to a family who inherited it from their French ancestors, although family tradition holds that the piece is Dutch. Aside from a few small dings to the veneer, it is in excellent condition.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 02 July 2014 10:25
- Published on Wednesday, 02 July 2014 10:25
- Hits: 248
This French three-drawer table is one of a pair belonging to a writer from Northern Virginia. The woods appear to be mahogany and a type of elaborately grained maple. The top, which does not show well in this photograph, is finely inlaid marquetry in a floral pattern. The owner writes that they have been in her family for many years.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 25 June 2014 10:13
- Published on Wednesday, 25 June 2014 10:13
- Hits: 226
This diminutive humpback trunk belongs to a collector from Middlesex County. He has an extensive collection of various trunks, most of which are in good original condition. The leather handles are missing, and it appears never to have had an interior tray. It is 16 inches wide, 12 inches high, and 10 inches deep. The finish is good, but the lock is missing. The paper lining on the inside is in excellent condition.