- Last Updated on Wednesday, 05 February 2014 10:33
- Published on Wednesday, 05 February 2014 10:33
- Hits: 866
This past Saturday for the twelfth year I participated in the annual Saint Clement’s Island/Potomac River Museum Appraiser Fair. As always, the occasion brought forth some remarkable pieces from collections in Southern Maryland and the Northern Neck.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 29 January 2014 08:22
- Published on Wednesday, 29 January 2014 08:22
- Hits: 686
This pair of Staffordshire lions belongs to a family in the lower Northern Neck. One has an indistinct mark on the bottom, and both are in excellent condition.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 15 January 2014 00:33
- Published on Wednesday, 15 January 2014 00:33
- Hits: 787
Recently a lady and her brother inherited several pieces of American Victorian parlor furniture. The frames are walnut, and the condition of each piece is excellent. The family members cannot use the pieces, and have asked how to value them for sale.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 08 January 2014 10:20
- Published on Wednesday, 08 January 2014 10:20
- Hits: 774
Over the past 14 years that I have written this column, I have received as many inquiries about how to proceed with antiques, as I have actual questions about specific pieces. This week, rather than addressing an individual piece, I should like to answer some of these general concerns and questions.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 01 January 2014 14:54
- Published on Wednesday, 01 January 2014 14:54
- Hits: 1030
These two small cloisonne’ bowls come from a Northern Neck family whose members have collected a large number of pieces. Both are in excellent condition. The other photographs also are interesting, but this one illustrates an important point in evaluating cloisonne’.