- Last Updated on Wednesday, 07 May 2014 10:37
- Published on Wednesday, 07 May 2014 10:37
- Hits: 734
A lady originally from Fairfax inherited six plates identical to this one from her father’s side of the family. They are in the traditional blue on white motif, and are hallmarked “Villeroy and Boch.” They are eight inches in diameter and in excellent condition with no chips or cracks, but evidence of use over the years.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 30 April 2014 11:38
- Published on Wednesday, 30 April 2014 11:38
- Hits: 844
This Hepplewhite-style corner cabinet belongs to a family originally from Fairfax County. The wood is mahogany with satinwood inlay and pine as secondary wood. The owner’s grandfather had the piece built in Alexandria over 100 years ago. All of the wood is solid, with no modern plywood backing, and the doors have independent panes of glass. The piece shows some wear, but is in excellent condition.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 23 April 2014 09:46
- Published on Wednesday, 23 April 2014 09:46
- Hits: 831
This Chinese ginger jar comes from an old Northern Neck family. The base is in excellent condition, but the lid has been broken and repaired crudely. The owners are thinking of making it into a lamp, and question whether so-doing would lessen the value.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 16 April 2014 12:30
- Published on Wednesday, 16 April 2014 12:30
- Hits: 950
This Victorian chandelier hangs in an old Northern Neck home. The owner writes that it is not original to the house, but was an estate sale acquisition many years ago for $100. The glass is hobnailed and amber-colored with matching prisms. The latter are not displayed, as some are missing. The owner has not been able to find any marking to indicate the maker.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 09 April 2014 11:23
- Published on Wednesday, 09 April 2014 11:23
- Hits: 1018
This whale oil lamp was a recent charity bazaar purchase for $175. It is in excellent condition, except for a slight dent in the metal rim. The buyer was pleased to support the charity, and asks if she paid excessively.