- Last Updated on Wednesday, 26 March 2014 10:41
- Published on Wednesday, 26 March 2014 10:41
- Hits: 2872
Youth Day is April 5 this year, and apprentice hunters are eligible to hunt, too, if they have an apprentice license and are mentored by a licensed hunter. Only the youth and apprentice hunters may carry a gun on that special day.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 26 March 2014 10:52
- Published on Wednesday, 26 March 2014 09:51
- Hits: 3896
Saturday, March 15, 2014, I was able to enter The Big Cat Quest in Richmond, Virginia. I got down to Richmond the night before and stayed at my father’s friend’s house. We had to go out and catch bait that night so we would have fresh bait in the morning. We ran out a gill net to catch shad, waited about 15 minutes to pull the net, and did this several times until we had enough bait for our crew.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 19 March 2014 09:16
- Published on Wednesday, 19 March 2014 09:16
- Hits: 1014
This is our first report for the year! The news is good, and we hope to continue bringing you good news. With the bad weather starting as I type this, I know some of you won’t believe what we have to report. Read on to see for yourself.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 19 March 2014 12:53
- Published on Wednesday, 19 March 2014 08:20
- Hits: 1073
Mid-March is different every year. I can recall some years when mid-March was balmy, and the biggest white perch I have ever caught in the spring were hauled in near Falmouth; one right after another on March 8, of one of those years. Interestingly, this particular memory was not that long ago. Some of those perch were nearly 12 inches long.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 12 March 2014 10:44
- Published on Wednesday, 12 March 2014 10:44
- Hits: 1087
The recent GLORIOUS warm weather has many of us with a fishing itch; I cannot wait to wet a line. Normally, that has been checked off my new list for the year by now, but given the ice, snow and cold, I did not even bother yet.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 05 March 2014 10:59
- Published on Wednesday, 05 March 2014 10:57
- Hits: 1382
Check out https://www3.dgif.virginia.gov/web/issues-2014/recommendations.asp to get the details about Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries’ (VDGIF) public comment period for fishing, nongame wildlife, and boating proposals. The agency really does go through the comments. I took a look at the proposals and noted some that might be of interest to local readers.