- Last Updated on Wednesday, 23 January 2013 11:41
- Published on Wednesday, 23 January 2013 11:41
- Hits: 2326
Die hard bass anglers who are savvy about their skills can test them and prove their merit as hawg hunters during the Ice Breaker Tournament at Motts Reservoir on Feb. 24 and Mar. 9 in Spotsylvania. Fishing a deep sided reservoir during the late winter can be very tough. I spoke to both Ray Thomas and longtime angler and tournament organizer, Dickie Musselman, about the fishing during the Ice Breakers. Thomas says that
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 15 January 2013 14:44
- Published on Thursday, 10 January 2013 00:36
- Hits: 2086
Despite the effects of Hemorrhagic Disease (HD) and the likely lower harvest figures, hunters are beginning to see deer again. It’s as if the deer have a calendar and hunting regulation booklet: they began coming out soon after the season ended and some even before.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 09 January 2013 13:37
- Published on Wednesday, 09 January 2013 13:37
- Hits: 2558
Buddy Fines provided me with an update on recent events to include the 2nd annual Farley Vale Farm Disabled Veterans Deer Hunt that took place on December 20th.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 02 January 2013 12:52
- Published on Wednesday, 02 January 2013 12:52
- Hits: 1868
This weekend is the last chance deer hunters roaming our local woods will get for putting up any venison. If data holds true from just before Christmas, our harvest figures are going to look like the stock market when it took a dive several years ago. However, as much as we like to put meat up for the coming months, it is rarely about the numbers of deer
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 26 December 2012 11:25
- Published on Wednesday, 26 December 2012 11:25
- Hits: 2297
If you venture outdoors or talk to those who do chances are you have heard of coyotes infiltrating the area lately. In fact, they have been here for many years. A few weeks ago, a local farmer, Larry Carr, had his picture in the paper with a coyote he took. In fact, he has killed two that I know of this year. A number of hunters and landowners have taken coyotes this season. In a recent hunt near NSWC a group of hunters took a half dozen coyotes before lunch and
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 19 December 2012 12:03
- Published on Wednesday, 19 December 2012 00:39
- Hits: 2035
The last half a dozen times I have ventured into the woods I have carried a .22 rifle. While I have not given up on deer hunting, I have read the writing on the wall and realize that seeing a deer is going to require more than a few short walks around the property to get a shot. I decided that when time to carry a firearm is short it might be better spent on taking home some meat however small a package it may come in.