- Last Updated on Tuesday, 02 December 2014 14:13
- Published on Tuesday, 02 December 2014 14:13
- Hits: 721
Duck hunting reportedly is very poor, with the exception of diver ducks and some marshes for wood ducks. Deer hunting has become hit or miss, with hunters either having plenty of deer sightings or seeing nothing at all. Apparently, some small pockets of disease hit the region again this year, taking out some of the deer. Squirrels appear to be more abundant, or at least easier to see. Time to get out the .22-caliber rifles for some squirrel stew.
- Last Updated on Monday, 24 November 2014 14:18
- Published on Tuesday, 25 November 2014 09:18
- Hits: 546
The rut has waned, but some bucks are still seeking unbred does. They still will come to doe bleats and buck grunts, so keep using those calls. I tried duck hunting Saturday morning on Machadoc Creek, but no duck hunting appeared to be taking place, or other hunters were having the same experience we were -- no birds.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 18 November 2014 09:25
- Published on Tuesday, 18 November 2014 09:25
- Hits: 559
The rut has peaked and may be on the downhill slide. Some does are reportedly still being chased. I witnessed this Friday evening, but the main activity is certainly waning. Look for bucks to still be seeking does, but also look for does to be more interested in food now. There seem to be plenty of squirrels if you are near nut-bearing trees. Rabbits are in good supply, as well. Duck hunting was spotty, according to the reports we heard. With our rainfall being low, many swamps and sloughs are empty, causing some of us to have nowhere to duck hunt.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 04 November 2014 10:04
- Published on Tuesday, 04 November 2014 10:04
- Hits: 642
Hunting season is starting to ratchet up in activity as the pre-rut is in gear. Scrapes, rubs and bucks tailing does are on the radar and visible in the woods now. A few bucks have broken antlers, a sure sign they got into a fight over a doe along the way or a valuable piece of breeding territory.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 28 October 2014 11:36
- Published on Tuesday, 28 October 2014 11:36
- Hits: 479
Hunting season picked up a notch as hunters report seeing the pre-rut activity begin. Some scrapes are showing up along with rubs. Bucks are showing movement to look for does, as well.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 21 October 2014 10:31
- Published on Tuesday, 21 October 2014 10:31
- Hits: 579
We would like to run hunting and fishing pictures, as space permits, that are tastefully taken (no blood, guts, etc…). Specifically, it would be nice to run photos of apprentice hunters, youth, women and anglers, too. Please be mindful of safety when taking photos. Watch where guns are pointed. Clean up your background, as well.