- Last Updated on Wednesday, 19 March 2014 12:53
- Published on Wednesday, 19 March 2014 08:20
- Hits: 469
Mid-March is different every year. I can recall some years when mid-March was balmy, and the biggest white perch I have ever caught in the spring were hauled in near Falmouth; one right after another on March 8, of one of those years. Interestingly, this particular memory was not that long ago. Some of those perch were nearly 12 inches long.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 12 March 2014 10:44
- Published on Wednesday, 12 March 2014 10:44
- Hits: 562
The recent GLORIOUS warm weather has many of us with a fishing itch; I cannot wait to wet a line. Normally, that has been checked off my new list for the year by now, but given the ice, snow and cold, I did not even bother yet.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 05 March 2014 10:59
- Published on Wednesday, 05 March 2014 10:57
- Hits: 747
Check out https://www3.dgif.virginia.gov/web/issues-2014/recommendations.asp to get the details about Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries’ (VDGIF) public comment period for fishing, nongame wildlife, and boating proposals. The agency really does go through the comments. I took a look at the proposals and noted some that might be of interest to local readers.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 26 February 2014 11:09
- Published on Wednesday, 26 February 2014 11:08
- Hits: 635
If you own or lease a piece of land where you enjoy hunting, there are several things you might want to get busy doing before the warm weather arrives to stay.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 19 February 2014 15:14
- Published on Wednesday, 19 February 2014 15:14
- Hits: 693
Last season (2012-2013), we had a bad outbreak of hemorrhagic disease (HD) that culled the deer herd very thoroughly in King George County. That left fewer deer in the woods, but the upside to that was that the remaining deer had more food and less competition for it the following year (2013-2014). It was a good thing, because the problem was compounded by the failure of just about all oaks and many beeches and hickory
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 12 February 2014 12:38
- Published on Wednesday, 12 February 2014 09:26
- Hits: 759
A very good friend of mine, Andy Whitman, is a missionary currently serving stateside but about to go overseas again. He is also an avid hunter with a particular interest in birds. Andy loves to turkey hunt, and he also really enjoys the call of Mr. Bobwhite.