- Last Updated on Wednesday, 27 November 2013 10:35
- Published on Wednesday, 27 November 2013 00:34
- Hits: 1345
I read with interest a press release by the Virginia Department of Forestry (VDOF) recently. It detailed the poor mast crop this year, and possible reasons why we are experiencing the near failure of trees to produce nuts. I will attempt to summarize it here with added insights from others, as well as myself.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 20 November 2013 00:56
- Published on Wednesday, 20 November 2013 00:56
- Hits: 1128
Fishing is rapidly shifting to mostly catfish and rockfish at this point. Deer season has picked up with the rut. Look for youth stories soon.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 20 November 2013 00:49
- Published on Wednesday, 20 November 2013 00:49
- Hits: 1402
Although I was not in the deer woods on opening morning with a deer gun in hand, I heard the distant shots as we waited for a few ducks to grace us with their presence. The shooting picked up for deer hunters (and apparently some duck hunters very close to our position) as the tempo of gunfire also picked up.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 12 November 2013 11:55
- Published on Wednesday, 13 November 2013 00:53
- Hits: 1186
This year’s Annual Colonial Beach Rockfish Tournament was held on Nov. 9 and 10.
Ladies Division - Christina Viviers brought in an 8.64 lb. Rockfish.
Guarantee Prizes left to right: First place Mike Harris 14.16; second place Scott Dickens 12.36; third place John Weber 12.10; fourth place Matt Mathes 11.84; and fifth place Jeff Jamett 11.60 (not shown).
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 13 November 2013 00:43
- Published on Wednesday, 13 November 2013 00:43
- Hits: 1152
Angler numbers are low, but for those still fishing the waters are still producing.
Ken’s Tackle in Spotsylvania reported that crappie are biting well on the river. Try deep sunken treetops and logs. Striper and small bass are also active on the river. Small eels were taking some nice fish.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 06 November 2013 13:48
- Published on Wednesday, 06 November 2013 13:48
- Hits: 1095
Angler numbers are dropping, especially because muzzleloader season came in. However, fishing is still decent.
Ken’s Tackle in Spotsylvania reported that some anglers are trolling very slow and picking up some striper.