- Last Updated on Wednesday, 25 September 2013 00:24
- Published on Wednesday, 25 September 2013 00:24
- Hits: 1664
Some political watchers, me included, have had a tendency in their commentary to declare the Virginia Governor’s race all but over. However, that’s probably a mistake.
This race isn’t over. Ken Cuccinelli, whose campaign just a couple of weeks ago seemed in real trouble, is rebounding. A recent poll showed him gaining ground on his Democratic opponent. This race is likely to be a fight to the finish.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 18 September 2013 00:57
- Published on Wednesday, 18 September 2013 00:57
- Hits: 1560
Oysters go well with just about everything. You can have them with beer, champagne, and even Coca- cola. They make a fantastic appetizer for a main course or, just as easily, make a fine dinner all by themselves. I have fond memories of oyster festivals, fried oysters, and oysters on the half shell. But, the days of
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 11 September 2013 00:34
- Published on Wednesday, 11 September 2013 00:34
- Hits: 1549
To some, the decision about what action to take in Syria is a national and international issue. It’s one that may not seem appropriate for a local paper such as ours. However, a quick look at the unique place where we live says otherwise. Our region has an unusually strong military presence. In wars and conflicts spanning generations, and most recently, the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, our neighbors, friends, colleagues,
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 04 September 2013 13:46
- Published on Wednesday, 04 September 2013 13:46
- Hits: 1564
If you were a small animal, say a squirrel, or perhaps a frog, or a bird and you lived in the growing suburbs of Virginia, you might have one observation to make. Namely, that the number of places where you can rest, get something to eat, build a nest, undisturbed are getting fewer and fewer. Whether it’s finding a bit of
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 28 August 2013 00:51
- Published on Tuesday, 27 August 2013 16:51
- Hits: 2066
Many, and this has been brewing for several months now, have been urging Bolling to mount a write-in campaign
The first popularly elected governor of Virginia was voted into office in 1851 and since then no Governor has ever resigned from office.
However, there is a first time for everything and Governor McDonnell, with revelations about the Star Scientific scandal getting progressively sleazier, may be the first.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 21 August 2013 00:12
- Published on Wednesday, 21 August 2013 00:12
- Hits: 1923
The unemployment rate for returning veterans in Virginia is 12.2% as compared with 5.5% for rest of the working population. It’s a serious problem. However, its solution, narrowing that gap, and getting veterans back into the workforce isn’t necessarily a government responsibility. Rather, it’s something that we as a community need to encourage and support.