- Last Updated on Tuesday, 28 July 2015 11:29
- Published on Tuesday, 28 July 2015 11:29
- Hits: 1642
Years ago when then former Governor and now Sen. Mark Warner was thinking about running for President, I was on-board with his campaign. Indeed, most Virginia Democrats readily listed themselves as Warner for President Supporters.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 21 July 2015 09:03
- Published on Tuesday, 21 July 2015 09:03
- Hits: 566
Back in 1986 I was a guest at a dear friend’s wedding and the reception was in a town called Chingford.
It’s a suburb of London. And my wife and I were seated next to an older gentleman who told us, as we were all trying to make conversation, that during the war he occasionally had been directed to a small airfield not far away.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 14 July 2015 15:18
- Published on Tuesday, 14 July 2015 15:18
- Hits: 784
There are some pretty grim statistics when it comes to wounded vets from our recent wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. And they don’t make pleasant reading. Economically, these men and women just aren’t doing well. The unemployment rate for wounded and ill veterans is staggeringly high. We just aren’t succeeding at helping integrate these young men and women back into the workforce.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 07 July 2015 13:32
- Published on Tuesday, 07 July 2015 13:32
- Hits: 639
He’s not a household name. At least not outside of Idaho. That’s the state he represents in the United States Senate. He’s been in politics for several decades and follows a straightforward kind of western conservatism.
In other words, like a lot of westerners, he has a libertarian streak.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 30 June 2015 12:31
- Published on Tuesday, 30 June 2015 12:31
- Hits: 700
Were our Founding Fathers a bunch of drunks?
I know that sounds disrespectful, but it seems remarkable that people who by 21st-century standards clearly drank too much ever managed to settle a nation, establish a country and outline the principles of representative government. Some accounts of the consumption are more than a little impressive.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 23 June 2015 09:59
- Published on Tuesday, 23 June 2015 09:59
- Hits: 637
I hate labels. Red state, blue state, conservative, liberal, moderate, tea partier, libertarian, and on and on. They don’t mean all that much. Not really, and when journalists are trying to sound sophisticated they go a step further mix them up a little. Ron Paul is sometimes called a libertarian conservative and Hillary Clinton is currently trying on both the moderate and liberal labels hoping to find a good fit.