- Last Updated on Wednesday, 17 September 2014 09:29
- Published on Wednesday, 17 September 2014 09:29
- Hits: 917
Advertisers had my type figured out a long time ago. If you want to sell me a product or a service, sure, wow me with facts, pictures of the product, and testimonials. I’ll listen. But, add a cute little animal, real or imagined, and I will readily identify with your product and what’s more, I will probably buy it. Not necessarily because of its alleged superiority to its competitors, but because the cute cat, dog, or whatever, said I should buy it.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 10 September 2014 09:51
- Published on Wednesday, 10 September 2014 09:51
- Hits: 988
Virginia’s political history goes back a long ways. It has its share of heroes and villains, but it’s hard to think of anyone who has fallen further and harder than our former Governor, Bob McDonnell.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 02 September 2014 14:18
- Published on Tuesday, 02 September 2014 14:18
- Hits: 1312
Economists by nature tend to be a bit gloomy. As the old joke goes, they find the dark cloud behind every silver lining. And while yes, they can be a depressing bunch, they also are good, as the late Paul Harvey used to say, “…at telling the rest of the story.” That’s the case with the current unemployment situation.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 26 August 2014 13:15
- Published on Tuesday, 26 August 2014 13:15
- Hits: 764
(Editor’s Note: David is on personal leave this week. This is a reprint of one of his first articles written for The Journal in 2003.)
Being a Virginian is probably one of my greatest sources of pride. And yet, when asked why I have such enthusiasm and why I carry on so about being a Virginian, I sometimes have trouble explaining myself. What is it about being from the Commonwealth that evokes such a response? It is, after all, just one of fifty states, and by no means is it the largest, the most prosperous, or even the most well known.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 20 August 2014 11:51
- Published on Wednesday, 20 August 2014 11:51
- Hits: 1105
I am sure if you asked Mark Warner what his political ambitions are he would say, simply, getting reelected to the U.S. Senate and to continue representing the Commonwealth.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 13 August 2014 11:27
- Published on Wednesday, 13 August 2014 11:27
- Hits: 683
Is it possible to define the beginning and end of a century by something other than the calendar? The immediate answer is no. But, one history professor I remember tried anyway. His view was that centuries could be defined in terms of eras and events.