- Last Updated on Tuesday, 23 September 2014 14:14
- Published on Tuesday, 23 September 2014 14:14
- Hits: 762
In Richmond, as Yogi Berra would have put it, it was “deja vu all over again.” The legislature, in a repeat performance of the their debate back in February held another special session to discuss the possibility of expanding Medicaid using federal funds provided by the Affordable Care Act. The measure would have extended health care coverage to 400,000 Virginians.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 17 September 2014 09:29
- Published on Wednesday, 17 September 2014 09:29
- Hits: 598
Advertisers had my type figured out a long time ago. If you want to sell me a product or a service, sure, wow me with facts, pictures of the product, and testimonials. I’ll listen. But, add a cute little animal, real or imagined, and I will readily identify with your product and what’s more, I will probably buy it. Not necessarily because of its alleged superiority to its competitors, but because the cute cat, dog, or whatever, said I should buy it.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 10 September 2014 09:51
- Published on Wednesday, 10 September 2014 09:51
- Hits: 732
Virginia’s political history goes back a long ways. It has its share of heroes and villains, but it’s hard to think of anyone who has fallen further and harder than our former Governor, Bob McDonnell.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 02 September 2014 14:18
- Published on Tuesday, 02 September 2014 14:18
- Hits: 808
Economists by nature tend to be a bit gloomy. As the old joke goes, they find the dark cloud behind every silver lining. And while yes, they can be a depressing bunch, they also are good, as the late Paul Harvey used to say, “…at telling the rest of the story.” That’s the case with the current unemployment situation.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 26 August 2014 13:15
- Published on Tuesday, 26 August 2014 13:15
- Hits: 406
(Editor’s Note: David is on personal leave this week. This is a reprint of one of his first articles written for The Journal in 2003.)
Being a Virginian is probably one of my greatest sources of pride. And yet, when asked why I have such enthusiasm and why I carry on so about being a Virginian, I sometimes have trouble explaining myself. What is it about being from the Commonwealth that evokes such a response? It is, after all, just one of fifty states, and by no means is it the largest, the most prosperous, or even the most well known.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 20 August 2014 11:51
- Published on Wednesday, 20 August 2014 11:51
- Hits: 644
I am sure if you asked Mark Warner what his political ambitions are he would say, simply, getting reelected to the U.S. Senate and to continue representing the Commonwealth.