- Last Updated on Wednesday, 07 December 2011 16:05
- Published on Wednesday, 07 December 2011 16:05
- Hits: 1147
The King George Board of Supervisors will hold a public hearing on ordinance amendments that would update language in Chapter 3, Article II of the King George County Code to conform to current state law and simplify language.
The state law reference in the Code of Virginia is Section 3.2-6546. The section of county code is in regard to Animal Control, Section 3-28, “Redemption or other disposition of impounded
The changes also propose an increase in some fees charged at the county Animal Pound.
The hearing is scheduled to take place at a meeting on Dec. 20 in the ground floor board room of the Revercomb Administration Building. The meeting begins at 6 p.m.
County attorney Matt Britton had asked Supervisors to authorized advertisement for the hearing at a meeting last month, on Nov. 15. That followed Britton’s legal review of the amendments which had been requested by Sheriff Steve Dempsey.
The proposed amendments include the following changes.
• The payment of a boarding fee for any cat impounded, and not rabid, redeemed within five days of impoundment would increase from $1.00 per day to $5.00 per day.
• Additional fees charged in association with the operation of the county’s pound would remain at $10.00 for the first day from an owner to retrieve an impounded dog or cat, with an additional fee of $5.00 for each additional day.
• Wording would be changed to result in a “surrender fee” for a dog or cat set at $5.00 at the pound and $10.00 at the residence of owner.
• Adoption fee for both dogs and cats is proposed at $10.00