- Last Updated on Wednesday, 23 October 2013 10:35
- Published on Wednesday, 23 October 2013 10:35
- Hits: 1969
Ruth Herrink was remembered by King George leaders last week.
Condolences were expressed by several members of the King George Board of Supervisors at their meeting last week on Oct. 15, three days after the death of The Journal’s editor and publisher who died Saturday, Oct. 12 at the age of 87.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 23 October 2013 10:31
- Published on Wednesday, 23 October 2013 10:31
- Hits: 1646
The Board of Supervisors last week agreed to nix an offer from Dominion Power to plant trees in front of the historic Ralph Bunche high school property.
The discussion took place at last week’s meeting on Oct. 15, sparked by an agenda item that brought Tim Smith, county director of Parks & Recreation, to the podium to talk about the landscaping offer from Dominion Power.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 16 October 2013 13:17
- Published on Wednesday, 16 October 2013 13:17
- Hits: 2665
Kathryn Strauss (right) was crowned 2013 Fall Festival Queen. Clara Brabo (left) was crowned the 2013 Teen Fall Festival Queen.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 16 October 2013 11:51
- Published on Wednesday, 16 October 2013 11:51
- Hits: 2057
Despite the fact that Congress enacted the Violence Against Women Act 20 years ago, the fight against domestic violence continues. In the United States, one woman in four, and one man in seven will be the victim of domestic violence in their lifetime.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 16 October 2013 11:48
- Published on Wednesday, 16 October 2013 11:48
- Hits: 1815
Linwood Thomas was recently welcomed to King George as the county’s new Director of Economic Development. He took over the position on Sept. 30, to fill the vacancy left by the resignation of Nicole Thompson, which was effective at the end of July.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 15 October 2013 18:34
- Published on Tuesday, 15 October 2013 18:34
- Hits: 1649
The Herrink family built the Gateway Urgent Care building specifically to house an urgent care and medical offices. It was built to the specifications of the tenant, King George Medical Center, Ltd.
We learned last week that the urgent care would be closing on Oct. 18 when the company notified the King George Board of Supervisors in a letter.
We were aware that Dantra Healthcare, Inc. intended to file for bankruptcy and had already started, before the bankruptcy filing, the process of trying to find another urgent care operation to take over the facility, after notifying the bank which holds the loan.
Since the bankruptcy filing and the news that the current tenant will be closing at the end of this week, the search process has taken on a new urgency.
Despite the death of Ruth Herrink, who was instrumental in constructing the building, the Herrink family has been in discussions with companies interested in stepping in to continue to provide urgent care in King George and the surrounding area.
— Jessica Herrink
- Last Updated on Thursday, 10 October 2013 14:37
- Published on Thursday, 10 October 2013 14:37
- Hits: 1920
Breach of contract cited, fraud and misrepresentation alleged
King George County this week filed a lawsuit to get back a 5.53-acre parcel of land given to Project FAITH, Inc., in 2012 that asks the Circuit Court to rescind the Deed of Gift and Performance Agreement, “as though the subject deed and agreement never existed.”
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 09 October 2013 11:28
- Published on Wednesday, 09 October 2013 11:20
- Hits: 1826
At the Masonic Lodge #314, Inasmuch volunteers constructed a covered entrance to the building as part of a county-wide day of service and compassion Saturday, Oct. 5.