- Last Updated on Thursday, 14 February 2013 11:58
- Published on Thursday, 14 February 2013 11:58
- Hits: 2666
- Public, volunteer, and staff safety is the top priority -
King George Department of Fire, Rescue & Emergency Services continues to improve the services that it provides to the citizens and businesses of King George County. The Department is implementing recommended best practices and procedures, based upon the Report of Findings and Recommendations: King George County Fire & EMS Study, conducted by the Virginia Fire Services Board and issued in November 2011, to provide for the public safety, and the safety of its volunteers and staff.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 12 February 2013 16:24
- Published on Wednesday, 13 February 2013 00:23
- Hits: 1620
The first rule of pickleball is that it has nothing to do with pickles. But its funny name hasn’t stopped it from becoming one of the fastest growing sports in America and now at the King George Family YMCA.
Pickleball is a combination of tennis, Ping-Pong and badminton. Players use oversize Ping-Pong paddles to hit the wiffle-like ball over the net
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 12 February 2013 18:21
- Published on Wednesday, 13 February 2013 00:20
- Hits: 1947
Superintendent Rob Benson this week proposed some cuts to the current working draft budget request of $36,963,780 for 2013-14, resulting in a decrease of over half a million dollars.
That took place at a meeting on Monday, Feb. 11.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 12 February 2013 18:18
- Published on Wednesday, 13 February 2013 00:18
- Hits: 1395
King George Supervisors are expected to approve an extension requested by Froncé Wardlaw on behalf of Project FAITH’s proposed HELP Center at an upcoming meeting.
At last week’s meeting on Feb. 5, Cedell Brooks, Ruby Brabo and John LoBuglio stated they were in favor of granting the extension, with Dale Sisson and Joe Grzeika saying they had reservations. That was the same
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 06 February 2013 11:28
- Published on Wednesday, 06 February 2013 11:28
- Hits: 2095
Ms. Conway’s second grade class at Potomac Elementary School was recognized at the Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration on Jan. 21 at King George Middle School. The students wrote an essay entitled “My Part in the Dream - What Can I Do to Improve My Community.” Makayla Scott won first place and Brooke Breneman won second place for the county.
Submitted by Katina Conway
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 06 February 2013 13:02
- Published on Wednesday, 06 February 2013 11:26
- Hits: 2816
These days Chief David Moody is between a rock and a hard place. The rock is county and state officials demanding tougher standards and more accountability for volunteers serving the King George Fire and Rescue Department. The hard place is the determination and anger of more than a dozen hard-working volunteers who have been dismissed in spite of serving the county for decades.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 22 January 2013 17:58
- Published on Wednesday, 23 January 2013 17:55
- Hits: 3319
The Board of Supervisors received clarification it had requested on a proposal by the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) to add flashing beacons at or near the Owens intersection on Dahlgren Road (Route 206) as part of the planned project to add turn lanes.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 22 January 2013 17:52
- Published on Wednesday, 23 January 2013 17:52
- Hits: 2245
Pick-for-Pay program to begin March 1
Waste Management District Manager Tom Cue announced to King George Supervisors at their Jan. 15 meeting that he was beginning to look into the potential for expansion of the landfill, saying it could add years to the life of the landfill and keep landfill revenue rolling into the county longer.