- Last Updated on Saturday, 10 November 2012 14:38
- Published on Saturday, 10 November 2012 14:38
- Hits: 1427
The veteran I interviewed was my brother Frankie. I don’t get to see him as much as I would like to so that’s why I chose him.
- Last Updated on Saturday, 10 November 2012 14:55
- Published on Saturday, 10 November 2012 14:37
- Hits: 1502
In 1989 my dad enlisted in the United States Navy and has been on active duty ever since. My family, including my two sisters, myself and my mom are very proud of my dad being in the Navy. He has been in the Navy for almost 20 years now. He stared out as an enlisted Seaman and has worked his way up to Commander. The Navy paid for him to get a Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree. We travel almost everywhere the Navy sends him.
- Last Updated on Saturday, 10 November 2012 15:21
- Published on Saturday, 10 November 2012 14:36
- Hits: 1598
Commander Shawn Cowan was commissioned in 1993 at age 21, after he completed his Bachelor’s in Social and Decision Sciences and Political Science at Carnegie Mellon University. He joined the Navy because he really wanted to fly, and apparently he thought that flying would be easier than racecar driving. He also wanted to fly F-14s and the Navy offered him scholarships for college. The day he was commissioned he was exhilarated and very proud of himself. His parents were also happy for him and were immensely overjoyed that he joined the military, as his father was in the Marines.
- Last Updated on Thursday, 08 November 2012 13:10
- Published on Thursday, 08 November 2012 13:10
- Hits: 1674
The Owens intersection on Dahlgren Road (Route 206) has been a topic of conversation for more than a decade, with the King George Board of Supervisors on the record with the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) for wanting the intersection to be made safer.
- Last Updated on Thursday, 08 November 2012 12:49
- Published on Thursday, 08 November 2012 12:49
- Hits: 1449
Three outstanding businesses of the Fredericksburg Regional Chamber of Commerce have won the 2012 Goodwill Awards in recognition of their extraordinary commitments to helping others and improving the local quality of life. EXIT Realty Expertise in King George won the award for a medium business, the first time in its eleven year history that a King George business has been recognized.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 31 October 2012 17:23
- Published on Wednesday, 31 October 2012 17:23
- Hits: 1426
An advisory committee established by the King George Board of Supervisors is whittling down the field of uses it intends to ultimately recommend for use of Ralph Bunche, the historic former school building.
- Last Updated on Saturday, 27 October 2012 08:41
- Published on Saturday, 27 October 2012 08:33
- Hits: 1137
The King George Family YMCA Afterschool Program sponsored a Lights On Afterschool rally on Thursday, October 3 from 5-6 pm. The rally was one of more than 7,500 such events around the nation that day, the 13th annual Lights On Afterschool, organized by the Afterschool Alliance. Elizabeth Clark, Executive Director supports expanding afterschool opportunities so that every child who needs a program has access to one, and the harm that results from budget cuts and freezes to these program.
- Last Updated on Thursday, 15 November 2012 12:43
- Published on Monday, 15 October 2012 15:07
- Hits: 1521
The young ladies all gathered on stage in their gowns. Pictured are Kelly Simpson, Karson Buckle, Rachel Courtney, TiYanna Brown, Hailey Lawrence and Kendall Powell.
Congratulations to Victoria Bail, 2012 Fall Festival Queen, and the Kendall Powell and Courtney Calloway, runners-up in the pageant.
View video from the pageant:
Find photos from the pageant at The Journal's Photo Gallery.