- Last Updated on Wednesday, 06 November 2013 13:37
- Published on Wednesday, 06 November 2013 13:37
- Hits: 1012
There are artists in King George County? You bet’cha and plenty of them. Potters Shirley Buckler and Julie Moore are making it their business to bring these folks to the public’s attention.
On Nov. 23 and 24 from 10 to 5, ten participating artists and fine craftsmen will be opening their studios/homes to the public in the sixth Annual King George Studio Tour. Their work will be set up on display and available for purchase. Included this year will be pottery, pen and ink drawings, watercolors, oil paintings, photography, multi-media, stained glass, jewelry, woodworking and more.
More information about each artist, as well as maps to participants’ studios/homes, can be found at www.dirtybirdpottery.com.
— Submitted by Julie Moore
- Last Updated on Thursday, 31 October 2013 11:10
- Published on Thursday, 31 October 2013 11:05
- Hits: 2287
Terence (T.C.) Collins has announced he is running as a write in candidate in this year’s election for the James Monroe District school board position.
T.C. is a Virginia State Trooper. His wife Jennifer is an Assistant Principal at KGHS and he has a daughter who is a senior at KGHS.
From T.C.: "My platform is simple and straightforward:
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 30 October 2013 10:36
- Published on Wednesday, 30 October 2013 10:33
- Hits: 1619
In their annual Zombie Run, over 50 runners ran through the grounds and woods to escape being “captured” by some King George Zombies. Over 50 runners ran for their lives in the 2013 event.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 30 October 2013 10:30
- Published on Wednesday, 30 October 2013 10:30
- Hits: 2976
Claude Shaffer, president of Terra Products LLC, is moving forward with establishment of his new company in King George at Dogue. The company plans to produce about 12 varieties of sand and gravel products in 40-50 pound bags to be sold at garden centers and home improvement stores, along with some small concrete products, including ‘pavers.’
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 30 October 2013 10:29
- Published on Wednesday, 30 October 2013 10:29
- Hits: 1079
Absentee voting available now for Nov. 5 election
Don’t forget to vote next week on Tuesday, Nov. 5. The Governorship and three local offices are up for grabs. On Election Day the polling places will be open from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m.
This is an off-year election, which traditionally has low voter turnout for some very important statewide offices, in addition to contested local offices in some King George election districts. Candidates are listed below.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 23 October 2013 10:35
- Published on Wednesday, 23 October 2013 10:35
- Hits: 1685
Ruth Herrink was remembered by King George leaders last week.
Condolences were expressed by several members of the King George Board of Supervisors at their meeting last week on Oct. 15, three days after the death of The Journal’s editor and publisher who died Saturday, Oct. 12 at the age of 87.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 23 October 2013 10:31
- Published on Wednesday, 23 October 2013 10:31
- Hits: 1391
The Board of Supervisors last week agreed to nix an offer from Dominion Power to plant trees in front of the historic Ralph Bunche high school property.
The discussion took place at last week’s meeting on Oct. 15, sparked by an agenda item that brought Tim Smith, county director of Parks & Recreation, to the podium to talk about the landscaping offer from Dominion Power.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 16 October 2013 13:17
- Published on Wednesday, 16 October 2013 13:17
- Hits: 2285
Kathryn Strauss (right) was crowned 2013 Fall Festival Queen. Clara Brabo (left) was crowned the 2013 Teen Fall Festival Queen.