- Last Updated on Wednesday, 12 March 2014 09:59
- Published on Wednesday, 12 March 2014 09:59
- Hits: 2301
Westmoreland County Sheriff C.O. Balderson this week thanked searchers who found the body of a missing Montross woman in some woods not far from her home on Feb. 27.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 05 March 2014 09:57
- Published on Wednesday, 05 March 2014 09:57
- Hits: 1721
DEQ Water regulating measures spark council concerns over possible fracking in Montross
The old saying “Water and oil don’t mix”, is ringing true for members of the Montross Town Council, who are making that statement metaphorically with their concerns over the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) regulating water usage for localities and individuals, but not for the mining industry.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 12 February 2014 12:14
- Published on Wednesday, 12 February 2014 12:11
- Hits: 2194
The newest, successful business in Westmoreland County is composed of 14 alpacas and three members of the Chatham family. Westmoreland County Circuit Court Clerk Gwynne Chatham, her husband, Ken, and her son, Ken II, are operating the Gwynnedale Alpaca Farm and delighting friends, neighbors and customers in the process.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 12 February 2014 11:43
- Published on Wednesday, 12 February 2014 11:43
- Hits: 2390
The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) will be replacing the Route 205 (James Monroe Highway) bridge over Mattox Creek in Westmoreland County this summer. VDOT Communications Manager Kelly Hannon said in an email on Thursday, Feb. 6, that work on the project is scheduled to begin in July.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 05 February 2014 10:37
- Published on Wednesday, 05 February 2014 10:30
- Hits: 2343
It took 44 words and 7 rounds before a winner was declared for the Westmoreland County Public Schools’ spelling bee district championship. At the end of the evening, sixth grader, Brianna Bartley, from Montross Middle School, sealed her victory by spelling correctly the final word of the night. The runner-up was fifth grader, Trinity Fauntleroy from Cople Elementary School. Ms. Bartley will now prepare for the regional contest in Fredericksburg.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 05 February 2014 10:27
- Published on Wednesday, 05 February 2014 10:27
- Hits: 1782
Virginia may be for lovers, but romance will be blooming in Westmoreland County’s Town of Montross for Valentine's Day. Montross businesses will be celebrating the holiday Feb. 14-17, with sweet deals and a romantic atmosphere.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 15 January 2014 11:45
- Published on Wednesday, 15 January 2014 11:45
- Hits: 1815
Dramatic increases in the need for comprehensive services for at-risk youth forced the Westmoreland County Board of Supervisors Monday night to vote for a $450,000 increase in funding for this fiscal year.
The unanimous vote came after several of the supervisors expressed their concern about the growth of the program. “The taxpayers are at their limit,” said Board Vice-Chairman Woodrow Hynson.