- Last Updated on Wednesday, 09 March 2016 10:06
- Published on Wednesday, 09 March 2016 10:06
- Hits: 706
Stratford Hall, the historic Westmoreland County home of the Lee family of Virginia, is restoring and repairing the gatehouse entrance to the 1,900-acre plantation. Work on the project is expected to be completed next month.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 01 March 2016 10:08
- Published on Tuesday, 01 March 2016 10:08
- Hits: 1100
A documentary funded by the Virginia Foundation for the Humanities premiered Sunday at the A.T. Johnson Museum in Montross. The documentary tells the little known story of black educator and agricultural specialist Joseph J. Roane of Westmoreland County who traveled to the Soviet Union in the 1930s to try and help increase agricultural production in the Communist country.
- Last Updated on Thursday, 25 February 2016 10:10
- Published on Thursday, 25 February 2016 10:10
- Hits: 966
A contractor for the Virginia Department of Transportation has begun a $2.2 million realignment of a dangerous intersection in Westmoreland County, according to Kelly Hannon, a VDOT spokeswoman.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 16 February 2016 10:37
- Published on Tuesday, 16 February 2016 10:37
- Hits: 894
Stimmell Van Latum to open Montross Mural Studio
Melanie Stimmell Van Latum, the internationally known Los Angeles artist who has created 11 murals in the town of Montross in recent years, is returning to the Westmoreland County town to open the Montross Mural Studio.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 16 February 2016 08:23
- Published on Tuesday, 16 February 2016 08:23
- Hits: 812
State official says project is over budget, however
Despite the recent snowstorm that hit the area in late January, the Mattox Creek Bridge project is progressing well according the VDOT Communications Manager Kelly Hannon. However the project is over budget.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 19 January 2016 11:33
- Published on Tuesday, 19 January 2016 11:33
- Hits: 1538
Stratford Hall, the Westmoreland County plantation that was the home of the Lee family of Virginia, celebrated the birthday of famed Civil War General Robert E. Lee Saturday. Hundreds of area residents and tourists toured the Great House, listened to live entertainment, enjoyed barbecue and learned about Civil War history.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 05 January 2016 09:57
- Published on Tuesday, 05 January 2016 09:43
- Hits: 2027
Ralph Fallin, one of three new school board members in Westmoreland County, begins 2016 determined to help the school board develop a master plan for the future education of Westmoreland’s school children.
“The plan needs to include a new high school that incorporates the latest technology, including a performing arts center and accommodates students with special needs,” said Fallin. “We need to be innovative and consider non-traditional attractive designs that can be easily modified to accommodate evolving technology and changing teaching strategies.