- Last Updated on Tuesday, 15 March 2016 11:01
- Published on Tuesday, 15 March 2016 10:59
- Hits: 2362
When sisters Debbie and Judy Beach were growing up they often helped their parents in the food concessions the parents operated. They saw the challenges, but also the rewards of owing a business and dreamed of some day having their own food service firm.
Over 40 years later, the dream of the sisters, who live in Kinsale in Westmoreland County, came true when this week they unveiled their new mobile food concession, the Flippin Yellow Truck.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 15 March 2016 10:34
- Published on Tuesday, 15 March 2016 10:34
- Hits: 1723
Most of us have friends or family to help out in times of crisis, but what do folks who don't have that support do?
The town of Montross offers an all-volunteer Emergency Assistance Program. The program was created in 2006 in response to a town survey and is still going strong. The program offers assistance to individuals who would benefit from having someone check on them and assist with disaster preparedness before, during and after an emergency.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 09 March 2016 10:06
- Published on Wednesday, 09 March 2016 10:06
- Hits: 856
Stratford Hall, the historic Westmoreland County home of the Lee family of Virginia, is restoring and repairing the gatehouse entrance to the 1,900-acre plantation. Work on the project is expected to be completed next month.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 01 March 2016 10:08
- Published on Tuesday, 01 March 2016 10:08
- Hits: 1323
A documentary funded by the Virginia Foundation for the Humanities premiered Sunday at the A.T. Johnson Museum in Montross. The documentary tells the little known story of black educator and agricultural specialist Joseph J. Roane of Westmoreland County who traveled to the Soviet Union in the 1930s to try and help increase agricultural production in the Communist country.
- Last Updated on Thursday, 25 February 2016 10:10
- Published on Thursday, 25 February 2016 10:10
- Hits: 1118
A contractor for the Virginia Department of Transportation has begun a $2.2 million realignment of a dangerous intersection in Westmoreland County, according to Kelly Hannon, a VDOT spokeswoman.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 16 February 2016 10:37
- Published on Tuesday, 16 February 2016 10:37
- Hits: 1068
Stimmell Van Latum to open Montross Mural Studio
Melanie Stimmell Van Latum, the internationally known Los Angeles artist who has created 11 murals in the town of Montross in recent years, is returning to the Westmoreland County town to open the Montross Mural Studio.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 16 February 2016 08:23
- Published on Tuesday, 16 February 2016 08:23
- Hits: 972
State official says project is over budget, however
Despite the recent snowstorm that hit the area in late January, the Mattox Creek Bridge project is progressing well according the VDOT Communications Manager Kelly Hannon. However the project is over budget.