- Last Updated on Wednesday, 02 July 2014 10:11
- Published on Wednesday, 02 July 2014 10:11
- Hits: 767
The Westmoreland Board of Supervisors met in special session Thursday night to finalize the county’s 2014-2015 budget and in doing so joined most of the other Northern Neck localities in enacting a small tax increase to help offset shrinking state and federal revenues.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 25 June 2014 10:02
- Published on Wednesday, 25 June 2014 10:02
- Hits: 1057
The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) is beginning what will be a two-year project to rebuild the two-lane bridge over Mattox Creek in Westmoreland County. “It has reached the end of its service life,” David Brown, VDOT’s Regional Administrator told citizens at a public information meeting in Colonial Beach on June 18.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 25 June 2014 09:59
- Published on Wednesday, 25 June 2014 09:59
- Hits: 1236
Andrea Roane, former principal of Washington and Lee High School, whose arrest for drunk driving in a February 12 snowstorm roiled the Westmoreland County school system and eventually claimed her job, entered a guilty plea to DWI in Westmoreland County General District Court on Monday.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 18 June 2014 13:00
- Published on Wednesday, 18 June 2014 13:00
- Hits: 1264
Hopes for the 2014-2015 edition of the Washington & Lee Eagles varsity football team just got a lot brighter with the announcement this week that the school has hired legendary Northern Neck District Coach Todd Jones to head its football program.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 04 June 2014 10:10
- Published on Wednesday, 04 June 2014 10:10
- Hits: 899
Westmoreland County, Montross and other localities around Virginia have received a small victory in the fight against fracking.
In April, Montross joined Westmoreland County in drafting and adopting a resolution, requesting that the Governor, the Secretary of Commerce and Trade, and the Secretary of Natural Resources complete a joint report and recommendation on matters related to the production of oil and gas in the Tidewater region, prior to approving any state permit for exploratory or production oil or gas wells in Westmoreland County. Montross sent a letter to the Governor conveying this request.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 04 June 2014 10:08
- Published on Wednesday, 04 June 2014 10:08
- Hits: 1053
This month’s First Friday Art Walk in Montross will be packed with activities. Aside from the area locations featuring artwork, locals and visitors will get a chance to view the progress of the three murals contracted by Bridget’s Boutique, Carrot Cottage, and The Westmoreland County Museum.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 28 May 2014 13:01
- Published on Wednesday, 28 May 2014 13:01
- Hits: 1038
Americans honored the country’s fallen on Memorial Day with a variety of events, from flag observances at cemeteries, to reading lists of the fallen, to parades and picnics. Among those honoring our nation’s heroes on this day was Mickey Beard of Colonial Beach, who lost her brother in the Philippines during World War II.