- Last Updated on Wednesday, 05 February 2014 10:27
- Published on Wednesday, 05 February 2014 10:27
- Hits: 1465
Virginia may be for lovers, but romance will be blooming in Westmoreland County’s Town of Montross for Valentine's Day. Montross businesses will be celebrating the holiday Feb. 14-17, with sweet deals and a romantic atmosphere.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 15 January 2014 11:45
- Published on Wednesday, 15 January 2014 11:45
- Hits: 1482
Dramatic increases in the need for comprehensive services for at-risk youth forced the Westmoreland County Board of Supervisors Monday night to vote for a $450,000 increase in funding for this fiscal year.
The unanimous vote came after several of the supervisors expressed their concern about the growth of the program. “The taxpayers are at their limit,” said Board Vice-Chairman Woodrow Hynson.
- Last Updated on Friday, 10 January 2014 10:55
- Published on Friday, 10 January 2014 10:54
- Hits: 2776
Virginia State Police is continuing its investigation into a two vehicle fatal crash on Route 3 approximately one-tenth of a mile east of Route 657 in King George County.
- Last Updated on Friday, 10 January 2014 10:54
- Published on Thursday, 09 January 2014 11:15
- Hits: 3873
A Westmoreland teenager was killed instantly Wednesday morning when her car drifted over the yellow line and collided head-on with a dump truck on State Route 3 in King George County.
State police identified the fatality as Chandale Dillon, 18, of Colonial Beach. The driver of the dump truck received non-life threatening injuries and was taken to Mary Washington Hospital in Fredericksburg.
The accident occurred just before 8 a.m. east of the intersection of State Route 3 and U.S. 301 in King George. Dillon was driving a 2000 Honda Accord westbound when she crossed the center line into the path of the eastbound dump truck.
State police said Dillion was not wearing a seat belt at the time of the accident. Route 3 was closed to traffic for two hours as a result of the crash, officers said.
-- Richard Leggitt
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 08 January 2014 09:43
- Published on Wednesday, 08 January 2014 09:44
- Hits: 1347
Joe Howell and the Westmoreland Department of Social Services helped provide over 6,000 toys to warm the hearts of children during the holiday season. And with the polar vortex sweeping frigid cold into Virginia this week, Joe and his DSS colleagues were already back in business collecting coats, hats, scarves and gloves to warm the bodies of families in need.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 08 January 2014 00:48
- Published on Wednesday, 08 January 2014 00:48
- Hits: 1896
Sheriff’s officers in Spotsylvania are investigating the death of a Westmoreland County man who was found unconscious on the floor of a bar in Spotsylvania County on New Year’s Day.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 31 December 2013 11:19
- Published on Wednesday, 01 January 2014 11:18
- Hits: 2640
The malicious prosecution lawsuits filed by Bryan Oliff, Westmoreland County’s popular restaurant owner, and two of his employees against Westmoreland County Deputy Sheriff Anthony Darby, should go to trial in 2014.