- Last Updated on Wednesday, 13 February 2013 12:29
- Published on Wednesday, 13 February 2013 12:29
- Hits: 3265
A Westmoreland County Circuit Court jury has convicted two men of a violent 2011 home invasion and sentenced them to 80 years in prison, the minimum sentencing allowed by law. The pair is scheduled to appear before a circuit court judge on April 5, and the judge can maintain the lengthy sentences or suspend a portion of the time imposed by the jury.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 06 February 2013 11:36
- Published on Wednesday, 06 February 2013 11:36
- Hits: 2678
Residents and visitors frequently tromp across Westmoreland County looking for treasure; visiting antique stores, trooping through the woods and fields, using metal detectors on the county’s many beaches. But the historical gem in Westmoreland County is the Westmoreland County Museum located on Courthouse Square in Montross.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 29 January 2013 18:42
- Published on Tuesday, 29 January 2013 18:42
- Hits: 2650
Westmoreland County Sheriff C.O. Balderson announced that Mobile Data Terminals (MDTs) have been installed and have been “up and running” in deputy patrol vehicles since mid-November.
The MDT is one of the most valuable and important tools available to law enforcement. It has increased
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 29 January 2013 18:39
- Published on Tuesday, 29 January 2013 18:39
- Hits: 5125
Westmoreland County Sheriff C. O. Balderson visited the Colonial Beach Town Council on Monday Jan. 28, to discuss the advantages of consolidating the Colonial Beach Police Department’s dispatch with Westmoreland County’s.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 23 January 2013 11:32
- Published on Wednesday, 23 January 2013 11:32
- Hits: 2395
In response to the need for improved, widespread public safety awareness and to assist local sheriffs in protecting the lives and property of citizens throughout Virginia, Sheriff C.O. Balderson announced a campaign that encourages Westmoreland County residents to become Associate Members of the Virginia Sheriffs’ Institute (VSI).
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 16 January 2013 11:37
- Published on Wednesday, 16 January 2013 11:37
- Hits: 2266
The Westmoreland County Board of Supervisors has re-elected Darryl E. Fisher as its chairman for an additional one-year term and also re-elected District 4 Supervisor W.W. Hynson as vice-chairman. The two Westmoreland County leaders were re-elected unanimously by voice vote at a meeting of the supervisors Monday evening.
Fisher and Hynson were both elected to the board of supervisors in 1994. Both have previously served as chairman.
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 19 December 2012 11:51
- Published on Wednesday, 19 December 2012 00:42
- Hits: 2889
Westmoreland County parents and students have expressed safety concerns as a result of the horrific shooting crisis in Newtown, Connecticut that took 28 lives on Friday. County school officials have reassured that county schools are well prepared to deal with any developing emergency.